Gone to Ground: A Young Woman's Extraordinary Tale of Survival in Nazi Germany'

by Marie Jalowicz Simon





Durante a Guerra, em Berlim, não podia haver anónimos. Quem não estava registado, não recebia senhas de racionamento, nada tinha para comer. Registados, os judeus eram obrigados a trazer bem visível na sua roupa a estrela amarela; e, para sobreviverem, tinham de prestar trabalho escravo, pago muito abaixo dos salários normais. Mais cedo ou mais tarde, receberiam a notificação para serem deportados para Leste, para trabalhos forçados ou para a morte. Em 19 de Maio de 1943, a cidade de Berlim foi declarada “judenfrei” , livre de judeus.

Marie Jalowicz (de ascendência polaca), nascida em 1922 e já órfã de pai e mãe em 1941, não se conformou e “submergiu”, isto é, tirou da sua roupa a estrela amarela e deixou de aparecer como judia. Como sobreviver sem alojamento e sem comida passou a ser o problema de cada dia, contado em pormenor neste livro.

Quando a guerra terminou, frequentou a Universidade e doutorou-se mas teve sempre relutância em falar sobre a sua odisseia durante a guerra. Foi já pouco tempo antes de falecer em 1998 que seu filho a convenceu a ditar as suas memórias para o gravador, preenchendo 77 bobinas. Daí provém este livro.

A autora e sua família eram e são judeus convictos, embora, durante a guerra, interrompessem o seu judaísmo por motivos óbvios.  Se era difícil encontrar comida, era praticamente impossível encontrar comida “kosher”.

O leitor fica curioso de saber como é que a autora viveu a reunificação das Alemanhas e o desaparecimento da RDA, uma vez que ficara a viver em Berlim Oriental. Mas a narrativa da autora acaba no fim da guerra.





The Washington Post


September 11,  2015


She used absurd means to save herself in the absurd times of Nazi Germany


By Gerard DeGroot 

Gerard DeGroot is a professor of history at the University of St Andrews in Scotland. His latest book is “Back in Blighty: The British at Home in World War One.”



A Young Woman’s Extraordinary Tale of Survival in the Heart of Nazi Germany

By Marie Jalowicz Simon

Little, Brown. 366 pp.


Marie Jalowicz spent most of World War II sitting in a chair — usually a wicker one. She realized that, as a Jew in Berlin, her best hope for survival was to go underground, to disappear. Her war was a sequence of days; every day she eluded capture was one day closer to the defeat of Germany. Surviving often meant sitting in one of those wicker chairs, in the darkened corner of a silent room. “I sat . . . as if nailed to the spot.”

After the war, Marie Jalowicz Simon (she married in 1948) refused to speak of her wartime experiences, except for the odd aside. Her son understood that she had spent the war underground in Berlin but otherwise knew no detail of her incredible experiences. She fobbed off every attempt to get her to write her memoirs. Then, on Dec. 26, 1997, he turned on a tape recorder and ordered her to talk. She proceeded to do so. He expected rambling reflections but got instead a perfect day-to-day account of her war. Her meticulous reconstruction took nine months. Then she died.

What resulted is the most extraordinary memoir of World War II I’ve ever encountered. Simon’s story reads not like the reminiscences of an old woman but rather like a young girl’s matter-of-fact account of what she did yesterday. That said, there are frequent instances of delightful aplomb typical of an elderly woman who doesn’t give a damn what people think. Young girl and old lady together tell a story of immense vitality and insight.

Simon had one massive advantage in her quest to elude capture: She was enormously smart. Her intelligence, instincts and wisdom allowed her to outwit anyone who meant her harm. Life underground was a creative act: She not only had to evade capture but also find ways to survive while maintaining the pretense that she did not exist. If she sensed compassion, she cultivated it. If she detected venality, she ran.

Simon took to heart the advice of a friend: “In absurd times, everything is absurd. You can save yourselves only by absurd means, since the Nazis are out to murder us all.” Normal rules did not apply. Morality and scruples were inconvenient obstacles to survival. Thus, she felt no compunction about bestowing sexual favors in exchange for food or shelter. “What does it matter?” she thought. “Let’s get it over and done with.”

On one bizarre occasion, she found herself dependent upon an old man who ran a rubber plant. A rabid Nazi, he proudly showed her his prized possession: a hair from Hitler’s German shepherd. “Why that’s wonderful!” she remarked. His stumbling walk and incoherent speech suggested the final stages of syphilis. “The Ewes, the Yoose, the Jews must all die,” he mumbled. She nodded. “He said he was afraid he must disappoint me: he was no longer capable of any kind of sexual relationship. I tried to react in a neutral, friendly manner, but I was overcome by such relief and jubilation that I couldn’t sit still. ... If I had been obliged to share his bed I would indeed have felt myself to be in mortal danger.”

Simon’s recollections provide fascinating insight into the psychology of those willing to help. Some were Nazi sympathizers and anti-Semites who were able nevertheless to draw a distinction between the specific and the general — between Simon and the Jewish multitude. Others were clearly addicted to the endorphin rush that comes from charity — selfless acts of selfish motive. Johanna Koch, who allowed Simon to assume her identity during her life underground, feasted on the relationship this implied. “She wanted me to be poor, dependent and in need, so that she could caress and console me.” For this reason, Koch dreaded an Allied victory. “When the war ended, so would my dependence on her. The splendid role of resistance heroine ... would be over.”

Simon spent nearly two years as the unofficial “wife” of a guest worker, a Dutchman named Gerrit Burgers. He was sexually inexperienced, emotionally immature and in need of a housekeeper. She satisfied all his needs. He often beat her, yet the occasional black eye provided a badge of normality in a society inured to domestic violence. “It made me inconspicuous.”

“Gerrit Burgers meant nothing to me really,” she admitted in typically laconic fashion. Nothing, and everything, since for a crucial part of the war he provided the security of mundane normality. There came a point, however, when circumstances and safety dictated that they had to part. “And so we went our separate ways. ... It couldn’t have been a less dramatic parting. If one of us had gone off to buy a loaf of bread, expecting to be back a few minutes later, it would have been just the same.”

Over the course of her time underground, Simon learned how difficult it is to judge people. She saw cruelty, hypocrisy and evil all around her, yet also found goodness in unlikely places. Luise Blase, for instance, provided assistance at crucial moments throughout Simon’s war. “I hated Frau Blase as a repellent criminal blackmailer with Nazi opinions, yet I loved her as a mother figure. Life is complicated.” That complexity taught her an important lesson. “It’s worth not marching in time. And it’s been worth facing all the fear and unpleasantness. Because life is beautiful.

The beauty of life allowed her to do ugly things of a reassuringly temporal nature. What happened in the war would stay in the war. When the Russians arrived in Berlin, she made a mental list of things she would never do again. “My list was a long one,” she admitted. “I wasn’t going to spit, because that was uncivilized.” “I wasn’t going to be on familiar terms with any Tom, Dick or Harry.” “I was never going to be rude about the Germans without differentiating between them.” The list continues. Finally: “I was never going to sit in a wicker chair again.”



The Observer

Sunday 16 March 2014


Submerged: the Jewish woman who hid from Nazis in Berlin

Marie Jalowicz Simon was one of 1,700 'U-boats', German Jews who survived the war submerged below the surface of daily life. Now she has told all in a book

Philip Oltermann

On 22 June 1942, Marie Jalowicz Simon woke to find a Gestapo officer standing by her bedside. "Get dressed. We need to interrogate you." In a moment of inspired improvisation, the 20-year-old Berliner managed to distract first the Nazi official in her bedroom, then his colleague waiting at the bottom of the stairs, and escaped back into "submerged" illegality as a Jew in Nazi Germany.

Now, 16 years after Jalowicz Simon's death, a new book tells the extraordinary story of her fate as one of around 1,700 "U-boats" – Jews who managed to survive the Nazi period submerged beneath the surface of everyday life.

Untergetaucht (Submerged) is based on 77 tapes of conversations between Jalowicz Simon and her son, Hermann, a historian. The last interviews were conducted in hospital, only a few days before her death on 16 September 1998. Until then Jalowicz Simon, who went on to become a professor in ancient literature and art history at Berlin's Humboldt University, had never relayed her story in public.

With a good dose of black humour and little pathos, the book describes how the daughter of a wealthy lawyer learned to look after herself following the deaths of her parents before she was 20.

After the Berufsverbot, the 1933 law that prohibited Jews and political opponents from seeking employment in certain professions, she worked as a slave labourer in the Siemens arms factory in the capital.

But in 1941 she slipped out of the official city records almost by accident: when the postman came to deliver a letter from the job centre, she simply said that her "neighbour" Marie Jalowicz Simon had been deported. "Moved to unknown destination in the east," the postman wrote down, using the common euphemism at the time, and the young woman vanished from the records. That same summer she started to walk the streets of Berlin without the Jewish star on her jacket.

In the coming years maintaining her anonymity required ingenuity and luck almost on a daily basis. Relying on the help of Germans willing to defy the Nazi regime or other "submerged" Jews, Jalowicz Simon moved between 13 homes in Berlin alone.

Many of the "submerged" Jewish women could not cope with life in illegality, she writes. "These women were pushed into the deep water. But some of them couldn't swim, and certainly not beneath the surface."

But Jalowicz Simon had a great talent for improvisation. In one flat she managed to share a home with a syphilitic Nazi who claimed that he could "smell Jews a mile off".

Feigned relationships helped her to pass unnoticed. In one instance a young Dutchman, with whom she lived in the Kreuzberg area of Berlin, hit her with his boot in a fit of rage. At first Jalowicz Simon was embarrassed, but then "I realised that only now I fitted perfectly into the social milieu I found myself in: my black eye didn't mark me out, it made me inconspicuous."

Small acts of rebellion helped to keep up her spirits. At the Siemens factory the workers learned to sabotage production without getting caught.

Later on, she walked the streets of Berlin at night and defecated in front of the doors with names "that sounded like Nazis. "What would the people think when they discovered my business on their doorstep the next morning?"

Towards the end of the war she tried to escape to Bulgaria, first to Sofia, then to Veliko Tarnovo, where she was moved by the sight of young schoolchildren and old men protesting against the deportations of their Jewish friends. But eventually she realised she could be nowhere more invisible than in her home town of Berlin. Increasingly, the product of an educated, middle-class household fell in love with the city's working-class dialect. This, she writes in the book, was the language of the people who were prepared to help: "It was above all the educated German bourgeoisie who had failed."

In an afterword to the book, Hermann Simon writes that, after the war, his mother struggled to return to normal life.

She told him how difficult it was to ever "resurface properly". Asking himself why it took her so long to finally tell her full story, he points to a remark she made in a lecture later in her career: "When I give testimony, then I do it truthfully, and there are many things that can only be told half a century later."


Thursday 5 March 2015


Gone to Ground by Marie Jalowicz Simon review – a Jewish girl, undergroundrkable, unsentimental book recalling the experiences of a young Jewish woman intent on survival in Berlin during the second world war

A remarkable, unsentimental book recalling the experiences of a young Jewish woman intent on survival in Berlin during the second world war


Caroline Moorehead


When, not long before her death in 1998, Marie Jalowicz began at last to talk about her life as a Jewish girl in Berlin during the second world war, she said that she owed her survival to just one thing: chance. “Incredible and miraculous” incidents of luck were, she concluded, the “deciding fact in all stories of survival”.

Jalowicz was 11, an only child, when Hitler came to power in 1933, one of 163,000 Jews living in Berlin. Her parents were active in a Zionist sports movement and the family was devoted and close. She was 15 when her mother died of an illness in 1938, by which time about 400 Nazi decrees and race laws had excluded Jews from most professions, and from schools, theatres and many public places; the Jewish population of Berlin had fallen to 75,000. Her father, a lawyer no longer permitted to practise, tried, but failed, to emigrate to Palestine. He struggled on until 1941 before he, too, died, as much of despair as anything else. By now Jalowicz was working as a forced labourer for Siemens making armaments with 200 other Jewish women, delighting in small acts of sabotage, wearing her star only in places where she might be recognised, and keeping a threaded needle in her pocket so that she could sew it on at any moment.

What she left out of the equation, when talking about chance, was her own character. At 18, she was a clever, resourceful, bookish young woman, with a pretty oval face and humorous eyes. She intended to survive. The question was how to do so. One day, as she stood despairing on a bridge looking down at the water, a woman approached her, saw the yellow star and said contemptuously: “Well, go on, do it.” But that was never her plan.

As friends and relations began to be deported, and it was clear that the days of Jewish forced labourers were numbered, Jalowicz got herself sacked – Jews were not permitted to resign – by a sympathetic foreman. For a while, helped and sheltered by friends of her parents, she was able to live off a small pension her father had received, moving constantly from place to place, sleeping on floors and in broom cupboards, always hungry, with often little more than ersatz coffee to drink and barely anything to eat. She tailored her identity to be acceptable to the people who took her in, and was forced to endure slights, sneers and open hostility. One man, a fanatic Nazi, had filled his room with tanks of exotic fish and kept a hair from Hitler’s German shepherd framed on his wall. She did not have to sleep with him, but there were others who expected it.

On 22 June 1942, the Gestapo tracked her down. She had long anticipated this moment and had planned precisely what she would do. Pretending to be confused and a bit simple-minded, she spun the waiting men an elaborate tale, then slipped out of their clutches and took off down the road in her petticoat. At this point, she had no alternative but to become a “U-boat”, the name given to those who went underground, going “illegal”, though it was not her, she insisted, but the Nazis who were illegal. She could not keep kosher, but she held on to her Jewish faith.

Going underground meant a life of ceaseless vigilance, alert to every sound or glance, never staying anywhere for too long, negotiating hiding places, walking the streets. She longed for books, for culture, for something to study. In September 1942 she went briefly to Bulgaria, with a man who was going home, but a series of misadventures drove her back to Berlin. Walking the streets again, endlessly in search of a bed, she listened to conversations and picked up the mood of the city. As the Germans began to suffer defeats, rationing began to bite, and the Berliners became cold, hungry and afraid. On her roamings, she came across Jewish friends and acquaintances from her past, U-boats like herself. They warned her about Jewish informers, people such as Stella Kübler, a “catcher” for the Gestapo who was said to have betrayed more than 1,000 people in return for safety for herself and her parents.

Luck, however, remained with her. It brought her a young Dutchman and she moved in with him to a room in a flat owned by an elderly Nazi supporter, a woman willing to overlook her Jewishness in return for money and help in procuring food, by now an all‑consuming matter of barter, queues, coupons, scrimping and pilfering. The most fascinating section of this remarkable book deals with the two years Jalowicz spent in this block of flats, lived in by an odd assortment of people, whose foibles, obsessions and greed she meticulously observed.

But also their kindness, their collective, unspoken resolve to help her. Gone to Ground is in many ways a heartening book, about how ordinary German men and women could and did behave imaginatively and generously, often at great danger to themselves. It belongs with Hans Fallada’s novels, andVictor Klemperer’s diaries, as a portrait of a German city during the Nazi years, many of its inhabitants neither good nor bad, but simply intent on survival, and willing to take risks as a reminder that they were, at heart, human beings, with sympathy for those in trouble. The people in her apartment block gave her food, watched over her. There is nothing sentimental in Jalowicz’s writing. She simply records what she perceives, and how she felt. Even the obligatory sexual encounters are described calmly, as necessary transactions for survival.

The end of the war found Jalowicz alone, penniless but alive. She enrolled at the University of Berlin to study philosophy and sociology, and kept herself alive by teaching and translation, vowing that whatever else she did, she would be honest, just and grateful. She weathered two breakdowns, and thought of emigrating to Palestine, but felt “too battle weary” to start again elsewhere, and she had been a beggar and a refugee long enough. In any case she was far from sure that people in other parts of the world would not also be capable of the Nazi atrocities. She became a communist, married a school friend, had two children and became a classics professor.

During the last two years of the war, she had kept a diary, but it was lost during a bombing raid. Like many other survivors, she never spoke about what she had been through, and her children knew only of a few incidents, which had slipped out inadvertently. Then, in 1997, her son Hermann Simon, a historian, presented her with a tape recorder, and she began to talk, relating her experiences in careful chronological order on 77 tapes, continuing up until a few days before her death. When Hermann came to check dates and names, he found that his mother had remembered almost every detail perfectly. Gone to Ground is an edited version of these tapes, excellently translated by Anthea Bell.

Luck, then, but character too: Jalowicz was a fighter, blessed with an even temper, optimism, a ferocious will, a clear sense of what life could offer her and a readiness to laugh at herself. Watching a parade of soldiers marching and singing in Berlin one day in the middle of the war, she caught sight of an elderly, somewhat scruffy man, striding along, singing a crude version of Strauss’sRadetzky March in tune with them. It made her laugh. “It’s been worth facing all the fear and unpleasantness,” she noted. “Because life is beautiful.” As she wrote to a friend in 1946: “If one doesn’t want to perish, the only solution is probably to adapt to circumstances as they are.” Gone to Ground is a memorably good book, and Jalowicz’s voice – perceptive, humane, determined – comes across on every page.

Caroline Moorehead is the author of Village of Secrets: Defying the Nazis in Vichy France.




Thursday 26 February 2015

Gone To Ground by Marie Jalowicz Simon trans. Anthea Bell, book review: A survivor's story of daily degradations


Louise Jury


Marie Jalowicz Simon was a Jewish teenager who – as friends and family were being deported to their deaths from Nazi Berlin – made the bold decision to vanish from official view; to remove her yellow star, go underground and survive. She was, in the parlance of the period, a "U-boat".

Gone To Ground is her remarkable story, edited together from 77 tapes of interviews, given in 1997 to her son, Hermann Simon. For all the many volumes already dedicated to the unspeakable history of the Holocaust, this remains a fascinating addition.

With an identity borrowed from Frau Koch, one of the many brave people who helped her during the course of the war, Marie Jalowicz took shelter where she could find it, lived with whoever offered protection, and scrabbled for food. The war impinges surprisingly rarely, with an occasional mention of the Sixth Army or a radio report of the attempted assassination of Hitler. This is, instead, a diary of daily degradations.

The story is most revealing where least expected. It is an angry Jewish woman who betrays Benno Heller, another of the heroes of the resistance. And avowed Nazis can and do turn a blind eye. There are confusing motivations and equally confused and confusing reactions.

Marie is openly annoyed at having to feel grateful to those risking their lives to assist her, an honesty which is admirably unflinching but hardly endearing. She seems to sneer when, with the war's end approaching, she considers how Frau Koch would cope. "The splendid role of resistance heroine that this shy woman from humble origins had been playing for years would be over."

But a hardening of the heart is both a pragmatic response and natural consequence of years crazed with hunger and living in perpetual fear of being exposed. During the interviews, which are the basis of the book, Hermann Simon allowed his mother to speak without interruption, which was understandable when she had for so long declined to speak. But it feels a pity that she was not asked how she felt about the moral compromises into which she was forced and the physical consequences of living in jeopardy.

The reader gets a strong sense of the educated, cultured middle-class world from which she came but virtually nothing of what a young girl of that background felt about having sex with strangers to secure a roof over her head. At one point she has to use the same container for food and excrement. Yet she is too proud to ask a wealthy elderly uncle on the point of deportation for cash and is "unspeakably embarrassed" when Frau Koch cries over the strain of borrowing books for her to read. Only one premise holds: "It is no use behaving normally in an abnormal situation."

English PEN, the writers' organisation, supported the translation but it is questionable whether it does complete justice to Marie's words. Later a professor of classical antiquity, she was acutely conscious of the difference between the common Berlin dialect and the High German of the educated which makes some of the clumsy inelegance in her narrative surprising. After her father dies, the boss at her forced labour factory "condoled with me silently". There is a lack of literary power to match the emotional punch.

But it would be impossible to argue that matters much. The afterword by her son suggests there is another book about her life that could and probably should be written. But these are Marie Jalowicz Simon's words, the last recorded only days before her death in 1998. She is a female voice from the horrors of the Second World War and it is good that voice lives on.




08 March 2015

My life as a Jew in wartime Berlin: How I outwitted the Gestapo


Marie Jalowicz Simon was 11 years old when Hitler came to power, early in 1933. Some 400 Nazi decrees later, her friends and family were being transported from Germany; and by May 1943, Berlin was declared Judenrein – clear and cleansed of its Jews...




But Marie Jalowicz was still there – among the 1,700 of her people who were able to go to ground, remain in the heart of the Reich and survive the war. She was one of the Untergetaucht – the submerged, also known as 'U-boats'. In this extract from Marie's remarkable memoir, she describes the morning that she managed to outwit the Gestapo.


Early in June 1942, I met Frau Nossek in the street. In the old days we always used to see this simple-minded household help, who worked for my parents, in the Old Synagogue on religious festivals. She always sat in one of the cheapest places in the second women's gallery. After the service she would come over to us out in the yard to shake hands with everyone and wish us well.

Now Frau Nossek told me that she had already received her deportation order, and had been duly picked up with her rucksack and her bundle of bed linen. At the railway station, however, she had suffered such a bad attack of diarrhoea – which she described in all its embarrassing detail – that she had to go to the toilet. When she finally came out again ("such bad luck"), the train had left.

So then, she told me, she had gone over to a railwayman and described her situation, whereupon he had run after the two Gestapo officers who were just leaving the platform and fetched them back.

"Those two gentlemen from the Gestapo were ever so nice," she went on. They had been kind enough to take her back to the place where she had been living and unseal the door of her room, she said, and now she was waiting to be deported in line with regulations a week later.

Later, I was on my way to see my friend Irene Scherhey and her mother, and I told them this story, which was weighing on my mind. "Drunks, small children and the simple-minded have a special guardian angel," was Selma Scherhey's comment. It set off a strange idea in my mind, an idea that was to prove useful: if you pretended to be simple-minded, a guardian angel would come to your aid.

Another incident also influenced me at this time. A family friend, Frau Koch, knew a clairvoyant through a laundry customer of hers. This woman practised her craft in Grünau once a week, although such things were strictly forbidden at the time. Hannchen Koch had a weak spot for mysticism and magic of that kind, and had insisted that we must both go.

I assume that this Frau Klemmstein, who allegedly didn't know who I was, had some idea in advance of my particularly dangerous situation. In any case, she told me, "No one can pretend to a person like you. I don't need cards or a crystal ball. We'll just sit quietly together and close our eyes. Either I'll make contact with you and have a vision, or I won't. If I don't, I'll say so honestly, and Frau Koch will get her money back. And if I do, I'll tell you what I saw."

After we had been sitting in silence for a while, she said, "I see. I see two people, with a Schein." [Translator's note: the German noun has three distinct meanings: brightness, appearance, and a piece of paper.] I thought: "She's crazy." I took her to mean a bright halo such as saints are shown wearing. However, I had mistaken her meaning; she meant a paper document, and more specifically an arrest warrant.

"These men, or one of them, will tell you to go with him. If you do, you are going to certain death. But if you don't – even if you get away by jumping off the top of a church tower – you will arrive at the bottom of it safe and sound, and you will live. When that moment comes, you will hear my voice."

A short time later, a man with an arrest warrant did indeed turn up. As it happened, I was not on top of a church tower but in my room. It was 22 June 1942, and the doorbell rang at six in the morning. In the Germany of those days, that was not the milkman arriving. There was no one who didn't fear a man who came to the door at 6am.

He was in civilian clothes. My landlady Frau Jacobsohn opened the door to him, and he said he must speak to me. I was still asleep, but woke in a terrible fright when I saw him standing beside my bed. In a calm and friendly tone he told me, "Get dressed and ready to go out. We want to ask you some questions. It won't take long, and you'll be back in a couple of hours." That was the kind of thing they always said to prevent people from falling into a fit of hysterics, or swallowing a poison capsule, or doing anything else that would have been inconvenient for the Gestapo.

At that moment, I really did hear the clairvoyant's voice in my room – loud and clear – and as if automatically, I concentrated on the plan I had already hatched: I wouldn't go with him, I would pretend to be half-witted.

Making out that I believed the man, I assumed a silly grin and asked, lapsing into a Berlin accent, "But questions like that, they could take hours, couldn't they?"

"Yes, they could take some time," he agreed.

"But I got nothing to eat here. Now my neighbour downstairs, she'll always have coffee or suchlike on the stove, and I reckon she'd lend me a bit of bread. Can I get a bite to eat? I mean, like this in my petticoat – no one sees me this time of day, and I can't run away from you dressed just in a petticoat, can I?"

So I went out. The only thing I unobtrusively snatched up was my handbag, with my purse in it, and an empty soda water bottle. I knew that they always came in pairs to take people away. And if the second man was waiting for me downstairs, either the bottle or his head would be broken. I wasn't going to do as they told me without defending myself.

When I left the apartment, I saw my landlady turn white as a sheet, but she invited the first man into her kitchen and said, "Come and sit down; it'll take some time for her downstairs to make a sandwich." She steered him over to a chair and moved the kitchen table in front of it, so that he was more or less penned in.

The second man was waiting down in the front hall of the building. I spontaneously switched the role I was playing. "Well, guess what?" I said, giving him the glad eye. "I come out to polish my door knob before I go to work, and my little boy, he's only two-and-a-half, he slams the door on me! So now I got to get the spare key from the mother-in-law, and me in my petticoat, and here's a fellow as I guess wants a bit of the other! At this time of day, too! I never heard the like of it! Men, I ask you!" And so on.

He laughed uproariously, gave me a little slap on the behind, and thought that my conclusion about what he wanted was very funny.

"Well, there's no one going to see me like this," I said. "I'll be back in five minutes."

It cost me a great effort to walk slowly to the next street corner. Then I ran. I spoke to the first person I met, an elderly labourer, briefly explaining my predicament. "Here, come into the entrance of this building," he said, "and I'll lend you my windcheater. You're small, I'm tall, I bet it'll come down over your knees. Then we'll both go to people you know who can lend you clothes." He seemed positively pleased. "And if I'm late to work, who cares? It'll be worth it to put one over on those bastards for a change!"

My hair was loose, lying over my shoulders. He tied it up with a piece of string and escorted me to the Wolff family's apartment. At the time, my lover Ernst was living in Neue Königstrasse with his parents, his aunt and his younger sister, the art historian Thea Wolff. His father was already over 80, so Ernst was the real head of the family. His female relations were indignant about his beginning a relationship with a much younger girl when he was in charge of everything and made decisions for the family. They couldn't stand me, anyway.

But now they helped me at once. Thea Wolff gave me a summer dress in which I could venture out on the streets again. Apart from that, I had almost nothing left: a few pfennigs in my purse, and my Jewish identity card. For now, I kept the empty bottle.

Later, by devious routes, I got back in touch with the Jacobsohns and found out that my landlady had kept the Gestapo man engaged in conversation for a whole hour, even getting around to the silly delaying tactic of showing him family photographs. And I truly revere the generosity of Frau Jacobsohn, a modest soul who had moved from the provinces to Berlin. She knew that she, her husband and their children would not be able to escape; but even taking that into account, she was ready to accept that they could all be murdered a few months early, so that she could give me a head-start on my pursuers.

I also discovered how it had turned out. After more than an hour, the second Gestapo man had come upstairs and asked his colleague, "Are you two nearly finished?"

When both men realised what had happened there was a frightful row. Each of them was blaming the other, until Frau Jacobsohn told them: "Gentlemen, I can tell you that you've wasted an hour here for nothing. That young woman, my sub-tenant, isn't the respectable sort. She often doesn't come back all night. I'm afraid you've drawn a blank."

But each of them was so mortally frightened of the other that they couldn't agree on that version of events. Instead, they were stupid enough to tell the truth. Frau Jacobsohn was asked to go and see the Gestapo, and found herself confronted by the two men, whose faces had been beaten black and blue.

"Do you know these two gentlemen?" she was asked.

"They look very different now," my landlady said in reply.

One of the pair said, "If we'd known a young girl like that was such a tough nut to crack, we would have surrounded the whole block with police officers."

On that occasion, Frau Jacobsohn was allowed to go home unharmed. But the following year, along with her whole family, she was deported and murdered.


This is an edited extract from 'Gone to Ground: A Young Woman's Extraordinary Tale of Survival in Nazi Germany' by Marie Jalowicz Simon



13. März 2014 

Marie wollte überleben

Sensationell: Wie eine junge Jüdin in Berlin im Jahr 1940 in den Untergrund ging und in die Zwischenwelten des Nationalsozialismus geriet, wo Antisemitismus und Gier ebenso blühten wie Hilfsbereitschaft und Menschlichkeit. Ihr Bericht "Untergetaucht" ist jetzt als Buch erschienen.



Wie konnte das mitten in Deutschland geschehen? Wer über den Mord an den Juden nachdenkt, stößt auf diese Frage, die bislang niemand enträtselt hat. Einerseits belegen die Dokumente ein hohes Maß an Antisemitismus, "Führer"-Ergebenheit, Gleichgültigkeit und die Begierde, sich an den Hinterlassenschaften der Entrechteten gütlich zu tun, andererseits finden sich Tausende Zeugnisse von bezahlter und unbezahlter Hilfe, schlichter Menschlichkeit, bürgerlicher und proletarischer Normalität.

Wer sich in die menschlichen Zwischenwelten hineindenken, sich also den Realitäten annähern will, lese den Bericht, den Marie Jalowicz Simon (1922 bis 1998) über ihr Leben im Berliner Untergrund hinterlassen hat – ein sensationelles Buch, das ihr Sohn Hermann Simon jetzt herausgegeben hat. Seine Mutter war im Alter von 19 verwaist, Geschwister hatte sie keine. Ende 1941, nach der Einführung des Judensterns und den ersten Abtransporten, gewann sie das sichere Gefühl: "Sie werden uns deportieren, und das ist für alle das Ende." Marie wollte überleben.

Sie wurde ein sogenannter Judentaucher, fand weit mehr als hundert Helfer, 19 verschiedene Wohnungen, in denen sie unter falschem Namen unterkroch, die alleinstehende Schwester oder Haushaltshilfe spielte – mal geliebt, mal geduldet, mal als "jüdische Dulcinea" beschimpft. Sie wohnte bei guten Kommunisten, nazistischen Erpresserinnen, versuchte in die Türkei zu fliehen und scheiterte in Bulgarien. Ein Rechtsanwalt, der ihr zu Papieren verhelfen sollte, verlangte von ihr Sex. Weil sie frisch verliebt und "fest davon überzeugt war", dass sie und ihr Mitko füreinander bestimmt seien, lehnte sie ab. Prompt denunzierte sie der abgewiesene Herr. Aber wer rettete sie, die so leicht als Jüdin mit gefälschten Papieren zu erkennen war, aus dem bulgarischen Gefängnis, und zwar ohne jede Gegenleistung und unter persönlichen Risiken? Wer verschaffte ihr offizielle Rückreisepapiere mit falschem Namen, Geld und Fahrkarte? Es war Hans Goll, der in Sofia die Dienststelle für den Einsatz bulgarischer Fremdarbeiter in Deutschland leitete.

Mit Berliner Witz schildert die Autorin soziale Milieus, das Verhalten ihrer Helfer und jüdischen Bekannten. Über einen wohlhabenden jüdischen Gynäkologen und seine Frau schreibt sie: "So waren die Hellers: Sie setzten einerseits heldenmütig ihr Leben aufs Spiel, um anderen zu helfen. Andererseits war ihnen ihr glänzendes Parkett genauso wichtig wie der Widerstandskampf gegen die Nazis." Vor zwei Gestapo-Beamten, der eine stand schon in der Wohnung, floh Marie Anfang 1942 im Unterrock. An der nächsten Ecke borgte ihr ein wildfremder älterer Arbeiter die Windjacke. Mit den Worten "endlich kann man mal was tun gegen die Kanaken" begleitete er sie zu jüdischen Bekannten.

Marie Jalowicz erzählt, wie sie von Felicitas, Bedienung in einer Kreuzberger Kneipe, gegen 15 Mark, das entspräche heute rund 200 Euro, an den gut 50-jährigen, schwer gehbehinderten Karl Galecki vermittelt wurde. Der Mann hauste in einer Einzimmerwohnung, liebte die Fische in seinen Aquarien und ein Bild mit scheinbar leerem Passepartout. "Ahnst du, was das ist?" – "Nein." – "Es ist ein Haar von des Führers Schäferhund", erklärte der Zimmerwirt andächtig und meinte nebenbei: "Die Juden müsste man alle umbringen." Zum Glück für Marie versicherte er "mit gesenktem Kopf", dass er zu Sexuellem nicht mehr imstande sei. Das Zusammenleben währte kurz.


Seite 2/2: 

Sexuelle Übergriffe musste sie über sich ergehen lassen

Auch bei dem Kommunisten Willi Kupke und seiner Frau Tati verweilte sie nicht lange. Schon in der ersten Nacht schlich Willi heran: "Er brabbelte ein paar widerliche Zoten – ich konnte weder Krach schlagen noch ihn zurückschicken, also ließ ich es über mich ergehen." Nachts darauf tanzte das Gespenst wieder an.

Die Autorin hatte in der Volksschule die dritte Klasse übersprungen; ihr Vater, der Rechtsanwalt und Notar Dr. Hermann Zwi Jalowicz, hatte von seinem Großvater zu hören bekommen: "Mein Junge, du bist nun schon drei Jahre alt. Du sollst nicht erst die deutschen Buchstaben lernen und dann unser heiliges (hebräisches) Alphabet, sondern umgekehrt." Später musste Marie an eine jüdische Schule wechseln. 1938 legte ihre Klasse das externe Abitur ab. Schulrat Schröder, ein bekennender Nazi, prüfte. Marie sollte einen ihr unbekannten mittelhochdeutschen Text vorlesen und deuten. "Das ist wirklich großartig", schwärmte Schröder, "so als seien Sie direkt aus dem Mittelalter zu uns hereingekommen." Anschließend ließ er die Zensuren der jüdischen Prüflinge um eine Note hochsetzen, weil das "im Vergleich mit den Leistungen an nichtjüdischen Schulen durchaus angemessen" sei.

Im Frühjahr 1940 trat Marie zur Zwangsarbeit bei Siemens an. Ihr Einrichter Max Schulze sprach mit polnischem Akzent und wurde bald zutraulich: "Mein Priester hat gesagt, die Nazis sind die größten Verbrecher der Menschheitsgeschichte." Gut gelaunt trällerte er durch die Werkhalle: "Lass mir ma’ nippen, an deine Lippen, lass mir nich’ einsam von dir jehn." Schulze konnte zwar lesen, aber kaum schreiben, deshalb bat er Marie, die Formulare auszufüllen – heimlich auf dem Klo. Einrichter Stakowski trug das Parteiabzeichen am Kittel und bereitete sich auf die Meisterprüfung vor. Dafür holte er sich bei einer Zwangsarbeiterin Nachhilfe in Mathematik. Mit der Zeit wandelte er sich vom fanatischen Nazi zum "harmlosen Mitläufer, und das war schon viel wert".

"Unsere Erfahrungen mit diesen regulär bei Siemens beschäftigten Männern", resümiert die Autorin, "waren so gut, dass ich mich oft fragte: Wie konnte es zu dieser furchtbaren Judenverfolgung kommen? Es gibt hier eigentlich gar keine Antisemiten, die Leute sind doch alle nett." Dieselbe Frage stellte sich für die höheren Kreise. Als ehemaliger Notar und Frontkämpfer bezog Maries Vater eine kleine Gnadenpension, die ihm Heinrich Hölscher, der Präsident des Kammergerichts, zugebilligt hatte. Im März 1941, nach dem plötzlichen Tod des Vaters, drang Marie zum Kammergerichtspräsidenten vor und erklärte der Vorzimmerdame – blond, schlank, "trug sie das Haar in einem sogenannten Hitlerknoten" – ihre verzweifelte materielle Lage. "Ach, Sie tun mir leid! Stehen Sie doch nicht in militärischer Haltung da", sagte die Angesprochene verlegen. "Warten Sie. Ich kriege den Chef rum!" Strahlend kam sie nach zwei Minuten zurück: "Sie kriegen die Pension weiter. Aber es gibt keine juristische Grundlage dafür. Sie dürfen also mit keinem Menschen darüber reden." Johanna Koch, die Marie ihre Identität für den gefälschten Ausweis geliehen hatte, wollte die Verfolgte "armselig, abhängig und leidend haben". Die Prostituierte Lotte ("Beene wie Marlene") half Marie unkompliziert, wo sie nur konnte.

1943 hatte Marie bei der Artistin Camilla Fiochi in Zeuthen Unterschlupf gefunden. Gemeinsam mit zwei Kolleginnen der Wohnungsgeberin hörten die Damen am 3. Februar die Radiosendung, mit der das Ende der 6. Armee in Stalingrad bekannt gegeben wurde. Sie jubelten, tranken auf die Niederlage und den Sieg der Alliierten – plötzlich erstarrte Camilla: "Mein Gott, mein Neffe Günther!" Er war wohl schon im Kessel von Stalingrad gefallen. Marie überkam ein "völlig unpassender Lachreiz". Sie schämte sich. Aus Sicherheitsgründen wechselte sie bald das Quartier.

Anschließend fand sie bei der aktiven Kommunistin Trude Neuke Unterkunft. Der rutschte in ihrer Parteizelle heraus, sie habe ein jüdisches Mädchen aufgegriffen. Das wurde ihr schwerstens verübelt, nicht aus antisemitischen Motiven, sondern wegen der "großen Aufgaben". Trude empörte sich, "die können mich kreuzweise und spiralförmig". Bald darauf kaufte sie bei einer Auktion eine stattliche Flurgarderobe deportierter Juden, vorher hatten die Jacken an Nägeln gehangen. "Findest du etwas dabei? Wenn ich die Möbel nicht kaufe, nimmt sie ein anderer." Marie gab ihr recht, aber "war merkwürdig tief ins Herz getroffen". Trude hasste die Bourgeoisie, egal ob arisch oder jüdisch. Doch suchte sie 1943 unentwegt und erfolglos unter ihren Genossinnen und Bekannten nach neuen Unterkünften für die höhere Tochter Marie. "Um Gottes willen", bekam sie stets zu hören, "wir sind in solcher Gefahr, in solcher Not, in solcher Armut – das kommt gar nicht infrage." Anders die kommunistische Portiersfrau Krause. Als Marie, die sich meistens als Halbjüdin ausgab, sie direkt fragte, ob sie ihr notfalls Quartier geben würde, "schlug sie begeistert auf die Schenkel" und erwiderte: "Aber ja! Fürs Erste bestimmt! Und dann finden wir schon was für Sie!"

Wie erklärte sich die Autorin das Verhalten all dieser Menschen? Die vielen, die Marie nicht denunzierten, und andere, die ihr halfen, "waren keine Nazigegner oder gar Antifaschisten". Einige, meint sie, hätten einen, "der so aussah, wie sie sich einen reichen Juden vorstellten, sehr wohl angezeigt": "Derselbe Piefke, der einen tödlichen Hass gegen den reichen Juden vom Vorderhaus hegte und der den innigen Wunsch hatte, dass dieser Mann verschwinde, damit er sich dessen Wohnzimmerteppich aneignen konnte – dieser selbe Piefke hatte aber nichts gegen hungernde junge Mädchen, die fleißig arbeiteten, so wie er selbst auch."

Die Erfahrungen, die Marie Jalowicz so lebensvoll beschreibt, gehen nicht in Gegensatzpaaren auf wie Verfolger – Helfer, Judenfreunde – Judenfeinde. Sie lassen sich weder auf bestimmte Personengruppen noch auf Individuen trennscharf anwenden. Vielmehr trugen viele, wahrscheinlich die meisten Menschen beides in sich: Gleichgültigkeit und gelegentliche Hilfsbereitschaft, humanes und rassistisches Verhalten, dunklere und hellere Seiten.





14 März 2014

Es einfach nur überleben



Die Jüdin Marie Jalowicz taucht 1942 unter und versteckt sich drei Jahre in Berlin. Ihre Memoiren erzählen von der Schwere des alltäglichen Lebens, sexuellen Übergriffen und einfachen Berlinern, die ihr Unterschlupf gewähren.


Marie Jalowicz Simon: Untergetaucht. Eine junge Frau überlebt in Berlin. 1940-1945. S. Fischer 2014. 416 S., 19,99 Euro.


Auch wer im Prinzip weiß, dass es Juden gab, die den Holocaust überlebten, indem sie in Deutschland untertauchten und sich jahrelang versteckten, kann staunen über die Erinnerungen von Marie Jalowicz Simon. Denn erst, wenn es wieder an die konkrete Geschichte geht, wird deutlich, wie das rasch Sagbare aus Hunderten Tagen und Abertausenden Stunden besteht, die einzeln bewältigt werden müssen. Die nächste Unterkunft, die nächste Mahlzeit, die nächste Lüge, später auch: die nächste Bombennacht. Aber auch das langsame Vergehen der Zeit in unwirtlicher Umgebung, meist zu Untätigkeit verdammt, manchmal als Haushaltssklavin missbraucht.

Marie Jalowicz ist ein junges Mädchen, immer wieder wird sie Opfer sexueller Übergriffe. Man begreift, wie das Teil einer rechtlosen Zwangslage ist, aber auch, wie selten oder mit Jahrzehnten Verspätung darüber gesprochen wird (auch die Vergewaltigungen durch russische Soldaten am Kriegsende betreffen sie noch, man hat den Eindruck, für sie ist das eher etwas Peripheres).

Da Todesangst kein Zustand ist, der über Jahre aufrecht zu erhalten wäre, bleiben Antipathie und Abscheu nicht aus, gegen Menschen, selbst hilfreiche Menschen, gegen hygienische Zustände. Und gegen eine Umgebung, die einem in Erziehung und Bildung unterlegen ist. Es ist nicht das gut- bis großbürgerliche Umfeld der Eltern, in dem die Anwaltstochter und Abiturientin Hilfe in höchster Not findet. Es sind einfache Berliner, ehemalige Hausangestellte, Arbeiter, Tunichtgute, die ihr Unterschlupf auf Zeit gewähren, ihr Tipps geben, an wen sie sich als nächstes wenden kann. Marie Jalowicz geht daraus als überzeugte Kommunistin hervor, die sich gleichwohl fest vornimmt, keinen Nichtjuden und keinen ungebildeten Mann zu heiraten.

Zwischendurch wohnt sie bei einem syphilitischen Nazi, der behauptet, er könne Juden riechen. Nun, er kann es offenbar nicht. „Ich muss es einfach nur überleben“, sagt sie sich.

Es muss ein Entweder-Oder gewesen sein: Entweder sie erzählt alles oder nichts

Marie Jalowicz Simon (1922-1998), die später eine Professur für Antike Literatur- und Kulturgeschichte an der Humboldt-Universität hatte und eine Familie gründete, hat die Geschichte ihres fast drei Jahre währenden Lebens als Untergetauchte erst spät erzählt. Man ahnt, dass es ein Entweder-Oder gewesen sein muss, entweder sie erzählte alles oder sie erzählte so wenig wie irgend möglich. Ihr Sohn Hermann Simon, Direktor der Stiftung Neue Synagoge Berlin – Centrum Judaicum, hat es ihr, wenn man ihn recht versteht, quasi abgerungen, indem er schließlich einfach das Tonbandgerät anstellte. Aus 77 besprochenen Bändern, 900 Seiten abgeschriebenem Wortlaut stellten er und die Autorin Irene Stratenwerth das vorliegende Buch „Untergetaucht“ zusammen, recherchierten den genannten Personen hinterher, waren verblüfft über das gute Gedächtnis seiner Mutter, das viel Nachprüfbares korrekt gespeichert hatte.

Der Zufall, liest man in Hermann Simons aufschlussreichem Nachwort, interessierte später die Geisteswissenschaftlerin, aber der Zufall begleitet auch den Leser zuvor 400 Seiten lang. Maries Eltern sterben früh, als Zwangsarbeiterin bei Siemens macht sie schlechte, aber auch gute Erfahrungen mit Nazis und Nazigegnern. Illusionslos beobachtet sie, wie immer mehr Berliner Juden ihren Deportationsbescheid erhalten. Sie entscheidet (denn vieles, aber nicht alles ist Zufall): „Was auch immer mit diesen Leuten geschehen würde, es würde nicht mit mir geschehen. Ich würde nicht mitgehen.“ An einem Junitag 1942 entzieht sie sich ihrer behördlichen Existenz. Mit falschen Papieren versucht sie vergeblich, doch noch das Land zu verlassen. Sie stellt fest: Nirgendwo fällt sie weniger auf als in Berlin. Sie berlinert notfalls mit erheblicher Schnauze, sie kennt sich aus, sie wirkt weder ängstlich noch „jüdisch“. Sie trifft Menschen, die ihr so spontan und mutig helfen, dass sie sich selbst wundert. „Wenn ich überlebe und ein anständiger Mensch bleibe, werde ich mein ganzes Leben lang versuchen, genau hinzuhören, ob jemand mich braucht.“

Denn ums Überleben geht es in erster Linie, dazu um einen ethischen und geistigen Mindeststandard. Alles ist ihr möglich, aber sie muss wissen, dass es vorüber gehen wird. Ihre Entschlossenheit, keinen inneren Schaden zu nehmen, ist beeindruckend. Wie schwer das ist, zeigt ihre kluge spätere Wendung, es sei kaum möglich gewesen, wieder „richtig aufzutauchen“. Diese Geschichte erzählt auch davon, dass es in bestimmten Notlagen unabdingbar ist, jung zu sein. Es gibt unbegreifliche Momente fast von Glück. „Ich fühlte mich in dieser Wohnung zeitweise so wohl“, heißt es über die Zeit bei einer „Nazisse“, „dass ich eigentlich nicht weiß, was ich dazu sagen soll.“ Es gibt komische, skurrile Szenen, es sind Einblicke einer gescheiten Außenstehenden, die unter Nazideutschen ihre Beobachtungen macht und neben Fanatismus und Raffgier auch Galgenhumor und Defätismus findet.

Marie Jalowicz Simon als betagte Berlinerin erzählt selbstverständlich aus dem Rück- und Überblick, vor allem aber faszinierend aus der Lamäng, nicht schnodderig, aber geradeheraus. Sie ist mit dem Leben beschäftigt, nicht mit dem Tod.




14. Oktober 2014


Untergetauchte Jüdin in NS-Hauptstadt Berlin


Eine Frage der Würde


Was die Jüdin Marie Jalowicz Simon während der NS-Zeit auf sich nahm, um zu überleben, ist ungeheuerlich. Hart gegen sich und gegen andere, war sie taktisch klug - auch im Umgang mit bekennenden Nazis.


Von Nadia Pantel


Marie Jalowicz Simon: Untergetaucht. Eine junge Frau überlebt in Berlin1940-1945. Bearbeitung: Irene Stratenwerth, Nachwort: Hermann Simon. S. Fischer Verlag, 2014. 416 S., 


Wer die Geschichte des Überlebenskampfs einer jungen Jüdin in Hitlers Berlin lesen möchte und sich davon große Gefühle und tapfere Helden erwartet, wird von diesem Buch enttäuscht sein. Es verweigert sich nicht nur jeder Rührseligkeit, sondern sogar jedem Spannungsbogen und ist gerade deshalb so gut.

Marie Jalowicz Simon erzählt in "Untergetaucht", wie sie als Vollwaise und Jüdin von 1940 bis 1945 versucht, in Berlin unsichtbar zu werden. Wie sie sich von Freunden zu Bekannten und schließlich sogar zu fanatischen Nazis weiterreichen lässt. Wie sie Tage und Wochen damit zubringt, einfach nur still auf einem Stuhl zu sitzen, damit die Nachbarn ihre Schritte nicht hören. Wie sie zur routinierten Lügnerin und Taktikerin wird.

Aber es sind nicht diese Ereignisse, die fesseln, sondern Simons klarer, abgeklärter, manchmal sogar dünkelhafter Blick auf diese Zeit. Simon ist gejagt, aber sie ist kein Opfer. Und die, die ihr helfen, sind mutig, aber keine Helden.

Über Johanna Koch, die Marie Jalowicz Simon drei Jahre lang Namen und Identität lieh, sagt sie: "Sie wollte mich armselig, abhängig und leidend haben, um mich dann tröstend streicheln zu können."

Als ein Paar, das mit ihr einen Unterschlupf teilt, von der Gestapo abgeholt wird, kommentiert sie: "Ich muss gestehen, dass ich erleichtert darüber war. Das Paar war mir gegenüber neugierig und misstrauisch gewesen und hatte sich unerträglich in der Küche breitgemacht. (. . .) Das weitere Schicksal dieser Familie beschäftigte mich damals kaum."

In dem Buch "Untergetaucht: Eine junge Frau überlebt in Berlin", erinnert sich die Jüdin Marie Jalowicz Simon an die Zeit im Berliner Untergrund während des 2. Weltkrieges. Das Buch macht betroffen, jedoch nicht, weil die Autorin den Leser zum Mitleiden auffordert.

Das Kind einer der Frauen, die sie aufnimmt, bezeichnet sie als "kleinen Germanen": "Ich war unsagbar traurig, wenn ich daran dachte, wie viele jüdische Kinder ermordet wurden. Diesen krähenden Fleischberg, der so leidenschaftlich gerne aß, aber sehr spät sprechen lernte, konnte ich kaum ertragen."

Simons Ehrlichkeit und Härte provozieren. Sie führt vor Augen, dass wir immer noch die gleichen falschen Phantasien haben: Die Unterdrückten sollten ihren Unterdrückern moralisch und charakterlich überlegen sein. Und wer von der Gesellschaft entrechtet wird, soll sich nicht wehren, sondern sich demütig Hilfe suchen.


Abtreibung im Schrebergarten


Diese Täter-Opfer-Vorstellungen haben bei Simon nicht nur keine Gültigkeit, sie führt sie bewusst in ihrer Anmaßung vor: "Wir begegneten uns nicht als Individuen, sondern als Allegorien. (. . .) Ich verkörperte die Gestalt des verfolgten jüdischen Mädchens, dem man aus Prinzip zu helfen hat."

Und so gelingt es Simon, die Geschichte, die der Leser zu kennen glaubt, die Geschichte der Verfolgung der deutschen Juden, ganz neu zu erzählen. Ohne Pathos und ohne Helden. Sondern als Bild einer Gesellschaft, die sich von der NSDAP so weit entmenschlichen lässt, dass eben keine Inseln der Rechtschaffenen bleiben, sondern Angst und Opportunismus das Leben jedes Einzelnen prägen.

Spannend wird das Buch auch durch seine Entstehungsgeschichte. Nach 1945blieb Marie Jalowicz Simon in Berlin, heiratete ihren aus Palästina zurückgekehrten jüdischen Freund Heinrich Simon, studierte und promovierte und wurde schließlich Professorin für Antike Literatur und Kulturgeschichte. Sie blieb kämpferisch und extravagant, doch über ihr Überleben in der Nazizeit sprach sie nicht.

Erst 1997, Simon ist 75 Jahre alt, gelingt es ihrem Sohn, dem Historiker Hermann Simon, seine Mutter zu überreden, ihm ihre Geschichte zu erzählen. Das Buch "Untergetaucht" entstand aus den 77 Kassetten, auf denen die Mutter ihrem Sohn ihr Leben auf Band diktierte. "Chronologisch" und in "bemerkenstwert klarer Struktur", wie der Sohn sich erinnert. Die Aufzeichnungen enden mit Marie Jalowicz Simons Tod 1998.

Die Vorstellung, wie diese hoch angesehene Akademikerin ihrem eigenen Sohn Momente größter Verzweiflung unaufgeregt und knapp offenbart, ist fast schon beklemmend: eine improvisierte Abtreibung in einem Schrebergarten, die Entscheidung, sich immer wieder von Männern aushalten und auch benutzen zu lassen, um das eigene Überleben zu sichern, und die Notwendigkeit, sich auch mit bekennenden Nazis gut zu stellen.

Simon beschönigt nichts. Und ihr Sohn nahm schließlich die Herausforderung an, diese provozierend ehrliche Lebensgeschichte zu veröffentlichen.



Retter, die keine Helden waren


ZEITGESCHICHTE Marie Jalovicz Simons Autobiografie über ihr Überleben als verfolgte Jüdin dekonstruiert den Mythos von den uneigennützigen Helfern




Marie Jalowicz Simon: "Untergetaucht. Eine junge Frau überlebt in Berlin 1940 bis 1945". S. Fischer, Frankfurt a. M. 2014, 415 S.,


Stille Helden: Diese Bezeichnung hat sich für all diejenigen Deutschen eingebürgert, die während der NS-Zeit den vom Tode bedrohten Juden halfen und sie in ihren Wohnungen versteckten. "Helden", weil sie es gewagt hatten, trotz hoher Strafandrohung bis hin zum Todesurteil Menschen uneigennützig zu unterstützen, die ab Oktober 1941 von dem Regime in die Todeslager im Osten deportiert werden sollten. Das Adjektiv "stille" gilt diesen Rettern, denn sie machten aus ihrer Hilfe nach dem Krieg in aller Regel keine große Sache.

Eine ganze Reihe von Biografien überlebender Juden lobt zu Recht das Werk dieser wenigen Deutschen - im ganzen Reich mögen es einige Tausend gewesen sein. Dank ihrer altruistischen Motive konnten so vielleicht 5.000 Menschen vor dem Holocaust gerettet werden - aber 10.000 weitere untergetauchte Juden entkamen den Verfolgungen der Gestapo nicht.

Nun ist ein Buch erschienen, das Zweifel an der holzschnittartigen These von den selbstlosen Helfern sät. Hermann Simon, Leiter des Centrums Judaicum in Berlin, und die Publizistin Irene Stratenwerth haben die Erinnerungen von Simons verstorbener Mutter Marie Jalowicz vorgelegt, die von 1942 bis 1945 im Berliner Untergrund überlebt hat. Grundlage sind 77 Tonbandkassetten, auf denen diese ihre Überlebensgeschichte erzählt hat.

Um es gleich zu sagen: Dies ist ein großartiges Buch geworden. Voller sprachlicher Brillanz und mit fast schon verstörendem Witz berichtet Marie Jalowicz über diese drei Jahre der Verfolgung. Dutzende der Figuren scheinen einem Roman entsprungen zu sein, so seltsam, bizarr, ja bisweilen geradezu idiotisch ist ihr Verhalten.

Da ist etwa ein glühender Hitler-Anhänger, der von allen ob seiner Gebrechen nur "Gummidirektor" genannt wird, weil er nach einer überstanden Krankheit weder Gliedmaßen noch seine Sprache unter Kontrolle hat, und der hoch erfreut darauf reagiert, dass die junge Marie, von deren jüdischer Existenz im Untergrund er selbstverständlich keine Ahnung hat, sich nichts sehnlicher wünscht, als ausgerechnet bei ihm einzuziehen. Da taucht eine hilfsbereite Prostituierte auf, deren geistige Beschränktheit so weit geht, dass sie ihren beiden Kindern den selben Vornamen "Veronika" gibt.

So entfaltet sich ein Panoptikum schräger Gestalten von der alternden Artistin über eine kommunistische Neuköllnerin bis hin zur von den Nazis begeisterten Rentnerin, die Marie dennoch aufnimmt, um ihre Mieteinnahmen zu steigern.

Nein, das Überleben von Marie Jalowicz hing nur in den allerseltensten Fällen von altruistisch denkenden gutbürgerlichen Deutschen ab. Und selbst diejenigen, die ganz offensichtlich aus unzweifelhaft edleren Motiven halfen, waren keineswegs frei von Tadel - so wie der Arzt Bruno Heller und dessen Frau Irmgard, die die verzweifelten Juden bei Patientinnen unterbrachten, die ihnen noch einen Gefallen schuldeten. "So waren die Hellers: Sie setzten einerseits heldenmütig ihr Leben aufs Spiel, um anderen zu helfen. Andererseits war ihnen ihr glänzendes Parkett genauso wichtig wie der Widerstandskampf gegen die Nazis", schreibt Marie Jalowicz.

Jalowicz nimmt in ihrem Buch keinerlei Rücksichten - weder den Helfern noch den Tätern, aber auch sich selbst gegenüber nicht. Sie nennt die sexuellen Dienstleistungen, zu denen sie sich gegenüber einigen Helfern gezwungen sah, beim Namen. Sie macht deutlich, dass manche ihrer Unterstützer auch deshalb zu Helfern wurden, weil sie damit zum ersten Mal Gebieter der Macht über eine abhängige Person werden konnten.

Jalowicz berichtet von der Eifersucht, die manche Helfer gegenüber anderen Unterstützern ihres Schützlings hegten. Und aus ihrem Buch geht hervor, dass es vor allem Berliner Randexistenzen und links gesinnte Proletarier waren, die überhaupt zur kurzfristigen Hilfe bereit waren. Einmal den Nazis schaden, das bewog so manchen Arbeiter zur Rettung.

Aber "unbesungene Helden" waren die allerwenigsten von ihnen. Sie nahmen mal Geld, manchmal Sex und immer verlangten sie Wohlverhalten. Ja, sie wollten - sieht man von Ausnahmen ab - den Verfolgten helfen und dem Regime schaden. Aber es waren alles andere als Lichtgestalten, sondern Menschen, die persönliche Defekte besaßen, bisweilen unsinnig oder irrational handelten und keineswegs immer die Vorbildfunktion besaßen, die ihnen heute zugeschrieben wird. Das ist realistisch - und fast schon beruhigend



Berliner Zeitung

Untergetaucht in Berlin